Don’t Let Your Beagle Eat Peanut Butter With Xylitol

admin June 11, 2015 Comments Off on Don’t Let Your Beagle Eat Peanut Butter With Xylitol
Don’t Let Your Beagle Eat Peanut Butter With Xylitol

Most dogs love peanut butter, including mine. When he tries to distract me in the middle of the afternoon while I’m working, I can almost always turn his attention away from me by filling a Kong toy with peanut butter.

Peanut butter is generally safe for dogs to eat, but there’s a new brand on the market that dog owners need to be aware of because it contains the ingredient xylitol. It’s a natural sweetener that’s found in chewing gum, baked goods and toothpaste. It can also be purchased as a sugar substitute to bake with or sweeten beverages. It’s not harmful to humans, but it’s toxic for dogs.

Nuts ‘n More Peanut Butter flavor spread, as well as some of the brand’s other nut butter spreads, contains xylitol.

What can happen to a dog that eats xylitol? Even small amounts can cause low blood sugar, seizures, liver failure or death.

Xylitol is gaining in popularity, and it may end up in other brands of peanut butter as food companies that sweeten their peanut butter switch out refined sugar for natural sweeteners. If you have a peanut butter-loving dog, check the peanut butter you buy for your furry family member to make sure it isn’t sweetened with xylitol. If it is, keep it for the human members of you family only.

Comments are closed.